- Start off with an extra-special breakfast! You can cook one or more of her favorites, like belgian waffles, veggie omelette, eggs benedict or even wake up early and pick it up! Does she like hot fresh bagels and cream cheese, a healthy fruit salad or breakfast burritos? Find out what time your local place opens and go out and get it before she wakes up! Presentation counts on this one. Dress your food to impress! Add cucumber slices to her water or strawberries to her sparkling champagne. A single flower across the top of her fresh pancakes with a cute container of syrup is a great visual. Fresh cut tomatoes alongside salmon for her bagel with a sprig of basil on the side will awaken her appetite! Make an animal out of the linen napkin and score extra points!
- Don't forget the beverage! Does she like smoothies, coconut juice or maybe her favorite drink comes from Starbucks or Jamba or 85C? Is she more of a mimosa, bloody mary, sangria type of mom? Again, go out and get it before she wakes up or plan ahead, buy the ingredients for her favorite drink and make it the morning of.
- Decorate the living room / family room! Get the family involved! Make a poster that says "Happy Mother's Day!" and hang it! Blow up some balloons! Cut out construction paper arrows and make a path on the floor that leads her to her breakfast that is all set up!
- Give one nice gift or small gifts throughout the day! Sorry, but a gift card doesn't cut it today. Women like to know you actually took the time to SHOP for her. Don't know her size, you say? Go look in her closet and find out! No excuses here.Presents that don't cost a pretty penny:
-A letter from the kids, "I love you Mom because..."
-A letter from you would be icing on the cake.
-A framed picture of the family. I'm sure you have a decent one in your phone right now and there are 24 hour places to print it out! If you're really ambitious, make a photo book!
-A montage of pictures set to her favorite song (s) to play on the TV hooked up to your tablet.
-A playlist of her favorite songs that you can play when you take her out in the car to brunch.
-Her favorite magazines, movies from netflix, fruits, candy in a nice basket!
-A massage! I especially love a good scalp and foot massage. Read up on some reflexology and practice before hand! Have a bubble bath or foot bath ready to go before the massage!
- Do something that she has been wanting to do. She's creative you say? Go to a ceramics place or a painting place and create a masterpiece together! She likes to get pampered? Get a mani-pedi WITH HER! She's into fitness? Go for that hike, bike ride or run along the beach. The point is to spend time doing what she likes! How about a menu of options that she can pick and choose how she wants to spend the day? Present it with breakfast and that makes the decisions easier for you!
- No need to spend the whole day together, give her alone time today! A mom's job is 24/7, and moms always have their families on the brain. Give her an hour or two to herself today! Let her enjoy that bubble bath and read that magazine you got for her after you're back from the hike. Pour her another glass of sangria and let her listen to that playlist while you get dinner ready. Tell her to take a NAP! Moms will appreciate that!
- Take over the chores that she normally does! For today, have the laundry done, dust, vacuum, get the kids' stuff ready for school the next day, do homework time with them, give the dog a bath, get the groceries, car washed and filled up. Take the kids and do the outside stuff while she NAPS, did I mention this already?!
- You probably already have a restaurant in mind if you take your mom out for lunch or dinner, but have a great dessert to end the day! Pick up those chocolate-covered strawberries, that European Cake Gallery chocolate cake, that Claim Jumper Mud Pie, that Hans and Harry's Streudel, that Sprinkles Red Velvet cupcake, that Red Ribbon mango cake, and for me that Albertson's Tres Leches cake. Like most families, you probably need to spend some time with the grandmothers in your family as well, but if you start and end the day with your mom feeling special, it will be a perfect Mother's Day all around!
Moms, feel free to share this blog post to your family members' FB accounts, text the link, even print and post this on your fridge, on the bathroom mirror or onto the steering wheel of your hubby's car! It's all about communication right? Good luck families and plan a fantastic Mother's Day for your loved one!
Have an idea to share, please comment below! Thanks!